The summer sunshine is upon us and pool days are in full swing. Let's take a moment of silence for cute bathing suits and not having to scrape snow off the cars.
Put the potty training aside this season and get outside. It’s the magical season of barbecues, boating, family adventure, loose schedules, and memory making. What’s not to love?
With the summer days heating up and the sun bringing the heat (oh hey pun), it’s smart to gather some 411 about keeping your family safe against natures beautiful elements, more specifically, the sun.
There are a few things you can do to avoid extreme exposure to the sun, which are most helpful according to most dermatologists. These are helpful preventative skin care tips for the whole family.
Helpful preventative skincare tips for the family
- Avoid the sun during peak hours of the day which are 10am-2pm
- Wear a hat to protect the face
- Wear a UV protective shirt or rash guard
- Don’t forget the sunnies
- Wear sunscreen - be sure to apply sunscreen 15 minutes before going into the sun
Let’s be honest, you can’t always stay locked indoors during peak hours of the day so let’s talk sunscreen.
Can I use sunscreen on my baby?
According to the Mayo Clinic, it is safe to use sunscreen on children above 6 months of age. Babies under 6 months old, should be in a shaded area or be kept out of the sun altogether.
What do I look for in a Childs sunscreen?
There are some excellent safe and effective sunscreens are out there, but there are a few things to know before choosing one.
There are two different types of harmful rays coming from the sun ultimately hurting your skin. Be sure your sunscreen offers protection against both, which are UVA and UVB rays.
- UVB rays play a key role in developing skin cancer and also causes sunburn.
- UVA rays contribute to wrinkles, premature aging, and skin damage.
Ingredients: A safe sunscreen is made up of natural and safe ingredients. It has to be pure, non-toxic, chemical-free, and free of BPA materials.
Most sunscreens are loaded with chemicals like oxybenzone which can pose a risk to the reproductive system. Skin easily absorbs lotions so chemicals are off the list when caring for a child.
Water Resistance: The best sunscreen for being outdoors should be resistant to water. Even if you don't plan to swim, any sweat from your body that mixes with the sunscreen will take it off if it’s not waterproof.
Sunscreen generally will last about 80 minutes, so reapplication is a must for long days in the sun.
Application: Spray or lotion is up to your personal preference. Sprays seem to be easier to put on larger areas of the body, but lotions sometimes can be too thick or 'cakey' after applied.
SPF level: According to Dr. Wang from skincancer.org, "In real life, products with very high SPF often create a false sense of security. People who use them tend to stay out in the sun much longer." A minimum of 30 SPF is recommended by most doctors.
The best safe sunscreen for babies and kids
Thinkbaby’s Safe Sunscreen is our top pick for sunscreen. Based on our relentless search for the perfect sunscreen, we think we found the most comprehensive, carefully made, butt-kicking product on the market. Here are a few features:
- Maximum protection against UV rays
- Mineral Based Formula, that skipped over all the harsh, toxic chemicals and got straight to the good stuff
- Waterproof, no need to worry about reapplying due to water
- No side effects on your skin
- Reef safe and biodegradable so you don't have to feel guilty about harming sealife
- Quickly absorbs in your skin to offer the best protection
- Offers broad-spectrum UV protection
- Water resistant for up to 80 minutes, set your timer and reapply when needed
- No oily after-effect after applying
- Free from harmful chemicals and parabens.
- Sustainable and biodegradable.
- Manufactured and produced in the US.
- Prevents sweating.
- Completely gluten-free.
- Passed the whole-foods premium grade test.
- Soothing natural fragrance.
There weren't any cons we really noticed with this lotion. Generally, in others, it's the smell or an oily residue, or perhaps it's too thick. This lotion had none of those issues. If we could wave our magic wand, we'd make it last longer than 80 minutes, but that's how they all are. Still number one!
Sun Bum sunscreen is another popular safe choice of sunscreen. It's got a lot of the same features as the Thinkbaby brand of sunscreen above, but instead of sunscreen lotion, it's a spray. Sunbum also carries face sticks, after sun aloe gel, and their well-loved Sun Bum sunscreen lotion.
Another great choice for sunscreen. They match pretty evenly with Thinkbaby lotion with great non-toxic ingredients and overall safe sunscreen for your child (and the environment!). Keep in mind that they all need to be reapplied every 80 minutes you are in the sun for the best protection.
Overall, definitely, take precautions in the sun to protect your little ones from the sun from an early age to prevent sunburn, skin cancer, premature wrinkles, and aging.
Remember, to fully protect them it's more than just sunscreen. Try to avoid excess sun exposure, layer up, throw a hat on, and also put on sunscreen to protect their precious skin and keep them from unnecessary skin problems.